The Medical Device sector ended the first quarter of 2017 with 22 announced deals, almost even with Q4:16’s total of 23 deals, and down 29% from the year-ago quarter. But the lull may not last into the second quarter.  As of April 10, 2017, three medical device deals have been announced in Q2:17.

On April 4th, Becton, Dickinson and Company (NYSE: BDX) acquired privately held Caesarea Medical Electronics (CME) for an undisclosed price. CME designs, manufactures and markets a range of infusion and syringe pumps, as well as related accessories and disposable administration sets for both home care and hospital settings. The acquisition expands BD’s infusion portfolio to include ambulatory, home and specialty acute care infusion pumps. In March 2014, CareFusion Corp., which was acquired by BD in 2015, acquired a non-controlling, 40% stake in CME. This transaction completes the acquisition of the remaining 60% of CME.

On April 7th, privately-held pharmaceutical company, The Grünenthal Group, acquired the German-based Adhesys Medical GmbH, along with its U.S.-based affiliate Adhesys Medical Inc. The company is a medical device startup focused on the development of adhesives used in surgery. Through this acquisition, Grünenthal has obtained the worldwide development and commercialization rights to a pipeline of surgical sealants as well as the underlying technology platform. The first topical skin adhesive is expected to receive European-wide CE Marketing Certification within the next 12 months.

Then, on April 10th, Codman Neuro, a global neurosurgery and neurovascular business that offers a portfolio of devices used in the endovascular treatment of cerebral aneurysms and stroke, acquired privately-held Neuravi Limited. Neuravi Limited designs and develops clot retrieval devices for restoring blood flow in patients who have suffered ischemic strokes.

It offers EmboTrap revascularization devices for the treatment of acute ischemic strokes in Europe. DePuy Ireland Unlimited Company, an affiliate of Codman Neuro, is the acquiring entity, and both Codman Neuro and DePuy Synthes Products, Inc. are part of Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ). This acquisition, and the recent 2016 acquisition of Pulsar Vascular Inc., complements Codman’s portfolio of products for hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke.