Cancer Treatments Are Driving Biopharmaceutical M&A

Cancer Treatments Are Driving Biopharmaceutical M&A

It’s been a busy year for mergers and acquisitions in the Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical industries. Combined spending on M&A is close to $268 billion mid-way through December, with 229 transactions reported. Although the number of deals is 34% lower than 2018’s combined total of 345, spending skyrocketed 62%, from just $165 billion in all of 2018. Two recent deals from major drug manufacturers highlight what’s behind the trend. On December 9, Sanofi announced its $2.5 billion acquisition of Synthorx, Inc. (NASDAQ: THOR), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on treating cancer and autoimmune disorders. The price consists of $68 per share, a 172% premium to... Read More »
Baxter International Adds Seprafilm

Baxter International Adds Seprafilm

Baxter International Inc. (NYSE: BAX) is having a busy 2019. After acquiring Cheetah Medical in September for $190 million in cash, it announced last week it was taking Seprafilm off of Sanofi’s (NYSE: SNY) hands. Sanofi will get $350 million for the portfolio, which includes Seprafilm Adhesion Barrier and related assets. The product is indicated for use in patients undergoing abdominal or pelvic laparotomy as an adjunct intended to reduce adhesions between the abdominal wall and the underlying viscera. Seprafilm had global sales of $100 million in the past 12 months, including in markets such as the United States, Japan, China, South Korea and France. This acquisition builds... Read More »
Dubai Investments Buys Back Stake of Globalpharma from Sanofi

Dubai Investments Buys Back Stake of Globalpharma from Sanofi

Dubai Investments (DFM: DIC) announced last week that it will purchase an additional 66% stake in pharmaceutical company Globalpharma, giving it full ownership of the company. Dubai Investments invest in a number of sectors, including healthcare and education in the UAE and the Middle East. You’re not alone if this story sounds familiar. Sanofi (NASDAQ: SNY) purchased a 66% majority stake of Globalpharma from Dubai Investments in 2014, leaving the latter company only a 34% minority stake up until last week’s deal. Globalpharma manufactures and commercializes generic medicines, and Sanofi integrated Globalpharma as its platform to manufacture and promote the generics portfolio... Read More »
October 2018 Healthcare Deal Spending Breaks Even

October 2018 Healthcare Deal Spending Breaks Even

Spending on healthcare deals in the month of October didn’t match the surge in deal volume (see separate post). At $9.4 billion, October 2018 posted a slight 4% gain over September, but was 25% lower than the $12.6 billion spent in October 2017. Of course, we can only go by disclosed prices, and several transactions that did not disclose financial terms would probably boost the month’s total by at least a few billion dollars. H.I.G. Capital’s acquisition of Correct Care Solutions, is a case in point. Co-owners Audax, GTCR and Frazier Healthcare sold Correct Care, which provides medical and behavioral health services for nearly 250,000 patients in 38 U.S. states and in Australia. Only... Read More »
Biotechnology Gets the Usual January Boost

Biotechnology Gets the Usual January Boost

The Biotechnology sector roared to life in 2017, posting a record 209 transactions. That’s 20% higher than the 174 deals announced in 2016. The previous record for the sector was set in 2009, with 193 transactions announced in the space. Spending for those 209 deals in 2017 didn’t set new records, but did post an impressive $54.5 billion in disclosed prices. That’s 283% higher than the $18.6 billion recorded in all of 2016, but not close to the secctor’s annual spending record of $93.9 billion, set in 2008. Every January, the Biotechnology Showcase is held in San Francisco, concurrent with the J.P. Morgan Healthcare conference. And every January, this sector sees... Read More »