Cardinal Health Can’t Please Everyone

Cardinal Health Can’t Please Everyone

Cardinal Health, Inc. (NYSE: CAH) announced its $6.1 billion acquisition of three Medtronic businesses (NYSE:MDT) on the same day it disappointed shareholders with its 2017 guidance update. It’s been a tough April for Cardinal Health, the healthcare services and products company that operates through its Pharmaceutical and Medical segments. On April 18th, 2017, the company released a disappointing guidance update stating that its fiscal 2017 non-GAAP EPS from continuing operations will be at the bottom of its previous guidance range of $5.35 to $5.50. The company pointed to generic drug deflation as one of the leading factors.  That same day, the company announced its largest deal to date,... Read More »

naviHealth Buys Curaspan

naviHealth is moving deeper into post-acute care transitions, in an effort to follow the bundled payments from end-to-end. Last week the company announced it will acquire Curaspan Health Group for an undisclosed amount. Just last August, naviHealth was the target in a $290 million deal, as Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH) acquired 71% of the company from Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, with the goal of acquiring the remaining 29% within four years. naviHealth provides software and analytics to healthcare plans, health systems, physicians and post-acute care providers to manage the entire continuum of post-acute care. Curaspan Health specializes in care transition tools for hospitals and... Read More »

Cardinal Health Buys NaviHealth

Rumors surfaced last week that Nashville-based NaviHealth, a portfolio company of Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, was about to be acquired by Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH). Our friend in Nashville, Milt Capps, published the story on his Venture Nashville Connections blog on August 24. Sure enough, the story was verified on August 25 when Cardinal issued a FAQ statement about the $290 million deal. What does a medical products distributor like Cardinal see in a post-acute care coordinator like NaviHealth? Quite a lot, since its sweet spot is managing bundled payments in the post-acute continuum of care. The acquisition of even 71% of NaviHealth gives Cardinal Health scale and the... Read More »

March Healthcare M&A Madness

March isn’t quite over as we write this, and neither is the madness—which won’t stop us from posting the biggest deals of the month. As of Friday, March 27, $34.4 billion has been committed to finance about 105 transactions. Of course, $21 billion of that comes from the AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) acquisition of Pharmacyclics (NASDAQ: PCYC). Next week, preliminary Q1:15 results! Read More »

Year’s Biggest Billion-Dollar Deals Top $64 Billion

Already in 2015, we’ve recorded 11 billion-dollar-plus deals, for a total of $64.4 billion. Thanks to the $21 billion AbbVie (NYSE: ABBV) bid for Pharmacyclics (NASDAQ: PCYC), the biotechnology sector accounted for $27.5 billion of those big deals. Pharmaceuticals, with four billion-plus transactions, still ranks first, with combined spending of $30.45 billion.  Read More »